We arrived yesterday around noon. After unloading another pickup truck full of boxes, we headed over to the kids for lunch. It's amazing the changes in Miss Molly over the 2 1/2 weeks we were up north.
The kids are off for Nick's family get together for a week. We're "baby sitting" Kaya while they are gone.

This morning I've started washing the kitchen cabinets. Don't know about anyone else, but no matter how they look, I have to make sure they are clean. And although they are all white lament on the inside and look clean, they're not. Lots of dust in the corners. The wood doors are all sticky. The lower corner cabinet, well, that's "no man's land". Actually the shelves are particle board with white lament and a plastic front edge. Some of which are missing.
It's a matter of where to put things. Cabinets around the range top are useless for short people like us, except for the lower shelf.
Think one of the first things we need to discuss is a priority list. What comes in what order. Obviously, getting the rest of the popcorn ceilings down is #1. New garage door is next because Bruce is going to kill his back lifting the one there. New windows is right up there. The house is hot without many screens to open. It's hard getting used to having all the windows on ground level. Even though the W.C. house was one story the master bedroom and living room were off the ground. But if we're going to redo the bathroom, we may be changing the window...or are we. And of course, the kitchen. It's got to get done soon. If I have a clean usable kitchen and a clean bath, I'm good to go. The rest is cosmetic.
Oh, another priority, a toilet paper hold; which we brought down. I'm tired of moving it on the counter and then not being able to reach it from the toilet. Why they ever covered it up is a mystery. Found the spindle in a drawer, so we know they had one. Strange.
And what is up with all the pill bugs? There were a slew of dead ones in the bathroom and kitchen when we got here. Just found two crawling across the carpet as I've been sitting here. Strange creatures in a strange land. OK, even I admit that's a bit melodramatic. :)
The great news is THIS time, we're doing this for US. No more getting places fixed up for someone else to enjoy. It's our turn! I have a picture of our new dining area. The table you see is what was up at the Bailey's cabin for years. With the same plastic table cloth and games sitting on it, it could be a picture from the cabin. While we cleaned up the cabin after Bruce's brother died, we used this same table. We'd play cribbage every night after dinner because there was no TV. It's deja vu all over again! :)

Our living room. (which would be someone else's family room - but since Annabelle & I are taking over the living room for sewing, this will be our living area). Obviously, we don't have furniture yet. That's another thing we have to buy. When Dad came to live with us, we had to sell our couch to make room for his recliner. I'd like to have a couch again. And hardwood floors. Though Kaya seems to like the carpet.
Well, the kids should be pulling into LAX any time now. guess I should go back to washing kitchen drawers and shelves. Would like to get the dishes unpacked and put away.
The kids are off for Nick's family get together for a week. We're "baby sitting" Kaya while they are gone.
This morning I've started washing the kitchen cabinets. Don't know about anyone else, but no matter how they look, I have to make sure they are clean. And although they are all white lament on the inside and look clean, they're not. Lots of dust in the corners. The wood doors are all sticky. The lower corner cabinet, well, that's "no man's land". Actually the shelves are particle board with white lament and a plastic front edge. Some of which are missing.
It's a matter of where to put things. Cabinets around the range top are useless for short people like us, except for the lower shelf.
Think one of the first things we need to discuss is a priority list. What comes in what order. Obviously, getting the rest of the popcorn ceilings down is #1. New garage door is next because Bruce is going to kill his back lifting the one there. New windows is right up there. The house is hot without many screens to open. It's hard getting used to having all the windows on ground level. Even though the W.C. house was one story the master bedroom and living room were off the ground. But if we're going to redo the bathroom, we may be changing the window...or are we. And of course, the kitchen. It's got to get done soon. If I have a clean usable kitchen and a clean bath, I'm good to go. The rest is cosmetic.
Oh, another priority, a toilet paper hold; which we brought down. I'm tired of moving it on the counter and then not being able to reach it from the toilet. Why they ever covered it up is a mystery. Found the spindle in a drawer, so we know they had one. Strange.
And what is up with all the pill bugs? There were a slew of dead ones in the bathroom and kitchen when we got here. Just found two crawling across the carpet as I've been sitting here. Strange creatures in a strange land. OK, even I admit that's a bit melodramatic. :)
Our living room. (which would be someone else's family room - but since Annabelle & I are taking over the living room for sewing, this will be our living area). Obviously, we don't have furniture yet. That's another thing we have to buy. When Dad came to live with us, we had to sell our couch to make room for his recliner. I'd like to have a couch again. And hardwood floors. Though Kaya seems to like the carpet.
No comments:
Post a Comment