Definitions


Definitions:

Kids: Alissa, our daughter; Nick, our son-in-law Baby: Molly Kathleen, our granddaughter *after 2/8/17 Connor Daniel, our grandson Kaya: The Kids' Rhodesian Ridgeback
Up North: Our home in Walnut Creek, CA Down South: Our new home in Ventura, CA

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Our Second Day at Our New Home

Saturday, August 18

Put away kitchen stuff
Clean up Ants
Set up Guest Room
Move furniture in Rooms
Baby Sit Molly
Laundry at Alissa's
Return Truck Rental

It was a pretty good second day.  There are still SO many boxes to unpack.  I had thought we had sold or discarded a lot of stuff, but apparently not enough!

Don't know where I'm going to put all this kitchen stuff!  Got enough put away so that we could fix dinner at home.  Think I'm going to have to reorganize a lot of it.   Main work area is right where all the items are for setting the table.

Living Room

The living room is kind of put together.  We'll be getting rid of 3 of the 4 chairs we have and getting a couch.  Can't wait to have a couch again!   And yes, I'm getting rid of my orange recliner.  After 35 years, it's time!  Can't wait to get rid of all that dark wood (yes, you heard me, I want to get rid of the wood).  It's not like our beautiful redwood up north.  Besides when they spray painted the room all the over spray put a film on all the shelves, so they look dusty but aren't.  Plus we want to get rid of the dark (mostly mortar) fire place.  Think we'll reduce the size just down to the fireplace.  The stone that's there now is very jagged and not toddler safe at all.  Just don't know where that lies in the scheme of things that need to get done.

Guest Room
Guest room
While I spent 3 wonderful hours babysitting Molly, Bruce got our dressers out of the dining area and into the bedrooms.  He got the living room set up, his office, my sewing table/desk in my sewing room and the GUEST bedroom.  We're ready for visitors!  Well, almost....give us another week. :)

Sewing/desk area
Discovered that the kitchen and my sewing/desk area get the full afternoon heat.  It has been very hot and humid and it was very hard to work in the kitchen at dinner time.

All in all, I think we've done quite a bit in a short amount of time.  As far as getting moved in.  There is still a massive amount of work to do. 

On Monday, I'm hoping Bruce will order the new garage door AND opener!  He's going to break his back lifting the broken one we have.  Tuesday my gas dryer will be delivered.   You know how kids always come home to do their laundry at Mom's?  It was turn around time for us.  I took my laundry over to Alissa's to do today while I baby sat Miss Molly.  We had such a good time together.  She is an absolute joy.

I'm actually writing this on Sunday morning.  Woke up at 2am sneezing.  There has been a steady stream of pill bugs marching across the living room floor.  By day light they will all be dead....that's usually what we find in the morning....dead bugs all over the floor.  I'll be so glad when we get new windows and sliding glass door.  They come in through the door.  Hmmm, wonder where they are on the list.  Maybe Alissa is right, we need to just get the sliding door ordered!

We can't begin to thank Nick enough for all his help with the move.  Bruce was so sure we could do it ourselves (the two of us).  Don't know how we would have.  When we took the truck back to the rental place, Bruce got a taste of what Nick put up with for 6 and a half hours.  He said it shook like crazy.  Did I mention that our manager had someone call about the house the afternoon we left?  We may have a renter by the first of September!  YEA!

Sunday will be more unpacking and putting away.  Bruce needs to get out and get a lawn mower before the recycle bins go out on Tuesday. Down here they pick up the trash every week, but the two recycle bins alternate weeks. 



No comments: