Definitions


Definitions:

Kids: Alissa, our daughter; Nick, our son-in-law Baby: Molly Kathleen, our granddaughter *after 2/8/17 Connor Daniel, our grandson Kaya: The Kids' Rhodesian Ridgeback
Up North: Our home in Walnut Creek, CA Down South: Our new home in Ventura, CA

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Ceilings - again Plus Goodbye Spindles

Scrapped Sewing Room & Dining Room Ceilings
Started the sanding
Took out Spindles in Entry Way
Janna's Solo Trip to Camarillo & Oxnard
Molly's 9 month Check Up
11 Hours of Molly Sitting

Can't believe I haven't posted for a week.  Curt from the window place has been out several times for measurements.  We had to take out the window sills Bruce put in the bedrooms and the side sewing room.  Total of 6 sills.  They prevented the windows from being compliant with the egress codes.  (Big enough to escape through in case of fire).  Really didn't need to do the sewing room window because it's close enough to the front door, but it lined up with two of the bedroom windows.  So visually from the outside it would look odd if it was a different size.


Tuesday Alissa brought Molly over around 7 in the morning.  Alissa wanted to finish painting her family room and touch up the hallway.  Not only is that hard to do with an active crawler, but the fumes aren't good for her.  I fed Molly breakfast and we played.  Or I followed her around all day.  She loves pull herself up on everything.  Sometimes she forgets she can't walk on her own and with something in her hand turn to walk somewhere.  You have to be johnny on the spot.  After her morning nap I fed her lunch.  Knowing her 9 month check up was the next day and she's suppose to be feeding herself food, I gave her some peas.  She got most of them in her mouth and seemed to like them.  She and Grampa had a good time playing on the floor.  I was amazed she could pick up my 5 pound weights.
On Wednesday I went with Alissa to Molly's 9 month check up.  She was 18 pounds and is 29" tall.  She's up in the 87 percentile for height.  Guess she gets that from the her Daddy, it certainly doesn't come from the Bailey side!
 
Thursday we started tackling the ceilings in the sewing room and dining room.  That may have been a bit much for one day.  I was using a ladder, but Bruce was standing on a small scaffolding bench.  Looking up for 8 hours really put a kink in his back.  We did get a nice half hour break when his good friend Bob called.  It was great hearing from him.  The nice thing about being so torn up is we get to eat out a lot. :)
 
Friday I did my first big solo drive.  I went back to the allergy doctor in Camarillo first.  Took a different route (one that Alissa suggested) than what Bruce and I had done the previous week.  Although I had a reaction to all the usual suspects, it wasn't much of one.  The doctor left it up to me about resuming shots or not.  I opted out of them.  Though it would give me an outing every week, I've been doing so well without them, I'm going to give it a try.
 
From there I went to Oxnard to the Home Depot to pick up some paint chips for my sewing room.  Afterwards I stopped at The Habit to pick up hamburgers to take home.  Can't believe we were introduced to the best hamburgers when visiting Alissa down here and then they built one in Walnut Creek, just 3 minutes from our house.  Now we have to go either across town or to Oxnard to get one!  Doesn't seem fair.
 
While Bruce was sanding the ceilings, I started on roughing up the walls.  The previous day we found that the paint was coming off the wall in sheets!  They must of over sprayed above the front windows.  Like we found in the other rooms, they didn't wash the smoke off the walls before painting.  That's one of the reasons we've decided to paint in there instead of just priming the ceilings as we've done in the other rooms.
 
One thing led to another.  Their (the Fannie Mae contractor) solution to every uneven edge (along baseboards, the wood panel and bookcase in the family room and around the spindles in the entry hall) was to fill them with a wide bead of silicone.  Trouble is, you can't paint over it.  Well, you can if you don't mind the paint not sticking well.  I was taking out the silicone and found that they overlapped the white paint onto it.  By pulling it out, it pulled the paint off the spindle base exposing the wood underneath.  You also can't paint over varnished wood without sanding it (which of course they didn't take time to do).  Long story short, we decided to take the spindles and frame work out.  They were coming out eventually.  Why not now rather than damaging the new paint job later.  Beside we were both ready to beat up something!  Bruce took the spindles out and I took the frame work out.
 
We have a lot of work ahead of us.  Need to have these rooms done before the windows go in and the county inspector gets here!  We haven't quite decided what to do with this opening.  We'll either frame it in wood, painted white or just sheet rock it.  I'd like Bruce to make a stained glass window to put in it, but he's not going for it.  He will be replacing the yellow glass front door with a door that he'll put stained glass in.  The door looks right down the hall way to the bedrooms, so we need opaque glass of some sort.  And definitely need glass for the light.

Been up since 4am.  It's now 6:30 time to get going.  Today will start with a trip to Home Depot.  Lots on our list!  Good news is tonight we're going to the Ventura Yacht Club for a cocktail party that our realty office is hosting.  It will be a nice change of pace.
 
 
 
 
 



 

No comments: