Definitions


Definitions:

Kids: Alissa, our daughter; Nick, our son-in-law Baby: Molly Kathleen, our granddaughter *after 2/8/17 Connor Daniel, our grandson Kaya: The Kids' Rhodesian Ridgeback
Up North: Our home in Walnut Creek, CA Down South: Our new home in Ventura, CA

Friday, February 1, 2019

January 2019

Sat down to write up January and found that I never published December.  I am really starting to worry about my mind.  I know RA can cause "brain fog", but I thought it was from years of taking medications.  Well, if I loose my mind, let me tell you now that I appreciate you all, and thanks for reading my blogs.

Bruce is making great headway on our fireplace mantle.  With the cold and rain this month we're looking forward to having a working fireplace soon.  By the last week of the month he's got the mantle all built and one coat of primer on.   It will look better when all the coats are on.   Love the craftsmen detail of it.  I've been racking my brain what to do for his 70th birthday in May and this fireplace has given me a great idea.  Just hope I can get it done in 2 months.  Fortunately, he babysits a lot which will give me time to do what I need to do.

Since January is bare root month, he also got 3 fruit trees planted.  A plum, apricot and a nectarine.   I want a draft lemon tree, but they were all out.   I know you can't really see them; there's only 2 showing in the picture.  You can tell where they are by the dark dirt at their bases.  We're hoping when they're grown they'll help block our neighbor's view of the yard.

Our dear friends, Bob and Bonnie Littleton came down to visit her son and family this month.    We went down to our favorite place at the harbor for lunch.  It's amazing how easy it is to talk with good friends even though you haven't seen them in years.   It's like no time has passed at all.

Today is the 28th, tomorrow is our 48th wedding anniversary.  We haven't gotten away in such a long time that we've planned a 2 night trip up the coast.   After looking at more than a dozen places, we settled on La Fonda Inn in Avila Beach.  It was the only place that had 2 out of the 3 things we wanted; a jacuzzi tub (for me) and a fireplace for Bruce.   I wanted to be able to see the ocean and hear it at night, but it's close enough to walk to.

We had a wonderful time up in Avila Beach.  The hotel kept us well fed.  They had croissants and OJ in the morning; snacks all day long (nuts, chocolate chip cookies, M&Ms, apples); appetizers and wine at 5 and pie at 8pm.  We had a whole basket of goodies (including cokes and water) in our room and since it was our anniversary a bottle of champagne in our refrigerator.  Even the coffee maker had pods of teas.   The only thing was our room faced the west and it was too warm.  We ran the ceiling fan all night and only slept under a sheet.  So much for cuddling in front of the fireplace!  Next time we'll ask for a room on the ground floor, should be cooler.

Couldn't find any dungeness crab to eat, but had several great meals at the Custom House just a block and a half from the hotel.  We went to Los Osos, Cambria, Morrow Bay and Cayucos.  Had great cookies from the Brown Butter Cookie Company in Cayucos.  Found a pin for my collection at the Antique store in Cambria.  All in all it was a wonderful trip.   In Avila we drove up Cave Landing Road to a view that was spectacular.  The parking area (if you want to call it that) had so many deep holes I was worried we'd get stuck, but the Subaru handled everything great.  Bruce loves his little off the beaten path roads.  There was a lot up there for sale he wants to build a vacation home on....  He just told me that it's a pretty long hike down to a beach area.  And it's the only access to the beach unless you own a multi-million dollar home.  We had wondered where all the people were with all the cars that were parked up there. 

Lunch on Wednesday was in Morro Bay at the Harbor Hut and got to see a lot of otters and one seal.  

The weather behaved itself until the drive home, which was a bit worrisome.  We didn't want a big breakfast at the Custom House, so we decided to go to the Cool Cat Cafe in Pismo.  It was one of our go to places when Alissa was at Cal Poly (the one in SLO, which is now closed).  Had trouble finding it and when we did, it didn't serve breakfast.  We drove down to Grover Beach and found a hole-in-the-wall (which we love) that had a 3 egg breakfast for $6.69.  Of course it was pouring rain when we had to get out of the car.

Doing better...it's only the 1st of February and I'm getting January published!


No comments: