Flooring is all in the sewing room (aka living room). Got my longarm rebuilt and the four base cabinets assembled again. Different location. Got rid of several storage places so on the 4th, I sit here baffled as to what to do with all the "stuff" that no longer have a home. Did finally get the beautiful clock Selma made me up on the wall rather than leaning on the wall on top of the roll top.
The 4th also saw the master bedroom emptied out and our dressers relocated into the guess bed room (aka: Julie and Kevin's room).
Hope you all have more fun on the 4th than we did!
The 6th brought in an unexpected heat wave. In the hundreds with no ocean breezes to cool us down. The 7th started out hot but at least with some cool breezes. Bruce is finishing scraping the master bed room floor. A crack that runs across the room pushed up and made a ridge. He chiseled it out and patched it with more cement. This slab is much more uneven than the one down at the "barn".
The sewing room is back together - mostly. I still need a new table to sew on because the one I had turned out to be to narrow so we took it out and moved the roll top down so it isn't stilling out the weird opening in the entry hall. We also are getting rid of some of the wire shelving which is taking away more storage. We're only putting back the minimal in each room.
11th saw us moved back into the master bedroom and emptying out the guest bedroom. We never replaced the center ceiling light with LEDs so on the 12th Bruce bought 4 lights. And because of this heat wave we've decided to put a ceiling fan in that room. It gets the hottest out of all the bedrooms.
Unfortunately the 12th brought on my first "flare" since being diagnosed with RA. My right hand, fingers and wrist were swollen and painful enough that I ended up taking 800mg of Ibuprofen 3 times over 12 hours. The 13th the extreme pain was gone and I had more mobility in my fingers. My wedding ring will not turn at all. I'm going to have to have it cut off one of these days. We've tried all sorts of methods to get it off the last few months but the continuous swelling hasn't allowed it to come off. Doctor upped my prednisone again. Was finally down to 5mg every other day, now I'm up to 20mg/daily. Ugh.
13th - Bruce got the wiring done in the attic in the morning. We're finally getting some ocean breezes which is cooling off the house. Attic is still plenty hot.
14th-15th Flooring went in the guest bedroom. Because it's a click together flooring you can only work from one direction. It was no problem with the TV room since we had a door on opposite walls. This room he had to figure a way to reverse the direction. Came up with a solution that allowed that. Clever man, my husband.
16th & 17th - moved furniture back into the guest room and started emptying out the office/Molly's room. Guess I need to call it the kids room now that we have Connor too. Way too much stuff. A lot is going OUT. Trash, garage sale who knows.
Saw my RA doctor on the 17th too. She doubled my RA meds (the one that causes diarrhea). So looking forward to that. NOT! Will start weaning off the prednisone next week. Dropping 5mg a week until I'm back to every other day again. Have a plan in place for the next flare...in case it happens when I can't get a hold of her. Next month I'll have a TB test to see if I can take Embril; that is if the insurance will cover it. Oh the joys of getting old.
18th Bruce started tearing out the carpet and padding in the office. Got most of the floor scrapped of glue by the end of the day.
20th Last room has flooring. YEA! Tomorrow will see the shoe molding going in and then it's my turn to work. I get to caulk and paint baseboards. Not a bad job to do. Hardest part is putting everything back. Lots of toys to get rid of.
Molly had a little dance recital from the dance camp she attended. So cute. She loves to dance. Connor really has the clapping down. He loves to clap when everyone else does.

21st Office/Molly's room is put back together. Last room finished! YEA. But wait! Why is the living room and dining still full of STUFF? We only put back what we wanted in each room. Now we have all this STUFF. Garage Sale? ReStore? (donation) Trash? Very good questions, but what is the answer?
The morning of the 23rd we went to Fox Fine Jewelry downtown and had my rings cut off. Fussed and stewed over whether to get a new ring in white gold using my original diamonds or stick with my original bands. In the end I was too sentimental to replace my rings. There's a new thing called a SuperFit. It actually hinges
on once side and opens all the way up to look like the letter E (more curvey). So they're going to add gold to the bands and put in the SuperFit. I'll finally be able to take the rings off when I help mix mortar! Get the rings back next month and I'll post pictures of how they work. I feel naked without my rings on. Keep trying to twist them, but they're not there!
Spent the 23rd and 24th looking at SUVs. I know I swore I'd never have one, but Bruce is convinced it will be a better car for me to drive. Easier to get in and out of and higher up for better visibility. So on the 25th we bought a dark gray Subaru Forester. He even opted for the first upgrade and got us more bells and whistles than we know how to use. It is definitely easy to drive.


The threshold for the front door got put in. Bruce is off getting what he needs to put one in between the hall bath and hallway. Also got some art work up on the walls for the first time since we've been here. Have had some quilts up but no pictures. I used to have all Alissa's art work in my sewing room up north. She drew a picture of me in high school that I love and painted a water color of a naked lady when she was in college. Two of my favorite pieces. Got those up; first in my sewing room and the second in the guest bedroom. Also managed to get up a few of my penguin drawings.
Even got Mom Bailey's curio out of the master bedroom and back in the family room and the Seth-Thomas clock on top where it belongs. We had moved it to the bedroom because Molly would run into it and we were afraid the glass front would shatter. We're going to put something in front of it when Connor is here .
Bruce had to take down the hanging rail for my quilts in the family room when he redid the sheet rock. Need to find a new type of hook (he didn't like what we had used before), so I can get my quilts up on the wall.
Next up for me is to find a couch for the family room. We bought a love seat when we first moved down but I really miss not having a full length couch.
Bruce's next project is to rototill the back yard and the side (north) lawn. Tear out the rotted railroad tie retaining wall and replace it with a stone wall. Not going to be more than 3 feet tall, but it does run almost the full length of the property. He's thinking he can get it done in August before Julie and Kevin get here in September. I'm tired just typing about it and I won't be doing the work! We still haven't decided what to do with the back yard, but getting it rototilled will at least get the weeds down. Think we're going to put in some fruit trees and maybe someday a hot tub. He did build a privacy wall for the hot tub last year...or was that two years ago???
Just a bunch or pictures. Bruce using a scrapper blade on his sawzall to get the glue off the floor. Think he went through 6 blades. The fireplace isn't finished, but that can wait till next year.... or winter time. Haven't found the right tile and style. We can't agree on white mantle and pillars or wood.

August 2nd: Forgot to post this.
The 6th brought in an unexpected heat wave. In the hundreds with no ocean breezes to cool us down. The 7th started out hot but at least with some cool breezes. Bruce is finishing scraping the master bed room floor. A crack that runs across the room pushed up and made a ridge. He chiseled it out and patched it with more cement. This slab is much more uneven than the one down at the "barn".
The sewing room is back together - mostly. I still need a new table to sew on because the one I had turned out to be to narrow so we took it out and moved the roll top down so it isn't stilling out the weird opening in the entry hall. We also are getting rid of some of the wire shelving which is taking away more storage. We're only putting back the minimal in each room.
11th saw us moved back into the master bedroom and emptying out the guest bedroom. We never replaced the center ceiling light with LEDs so on the 12th Bruce bought 4 lights. And because of this heat wave we've decided to put a ceiling fan in that room. It gets the hottest out of all the bedrooms.
Unfortunately the 12th brought on my first "flare" since being diagnosed with RA. My right hand, fingers and wrist were swollen and painful enough that I ended up taking 800mg of Ibuprofen 3 times over 12 hours. The 13th the extreme pain was gone and I had more mobility in my fingers. My wedding ring will not turn at all. I'm going to have to have it cut off one of these days. We've tried all sorts of methods to get it off the last few months but the continuous swelling hasn't allowed it to come off. Doctor upped my prednisone again. Was finally down to 5mg every other day, now I'm up to 20mg/daily. Ugh.
13th - Bruce got the wiring done in the attic in the morning. We're finally getting some ocean breezes which is cooling off the house. Attic is still plenty hot.
14th-15th Flooring went in the guest bedroom. Because it's a click together flooring you can only work from one direction. It was no problem with the TV room since we had a door on opposite walls. This room he had to figure a way to reverse the direction. Came up with a solution that allowed that. Clever man, my husband.
16th & 17th - moved furniture back into the guest room and started emptying out the office/Molly's room. Guess I need to call it the kids room now that we have Connor too. Way too much stuff. A lot is going OUT. Trash, garage sale who knows.
Saw my RA doctor on the 17th too. She doubled my RA meds (the one that causes diarrhea). So looking forward to that. NOT! Will start weaning off the prednisone next week. Dropping 5mg a week until I'm back to every other day again. Have a plan in place for the next flare...in case it happens when I can't get a hold of her. Next month I'll have a TB test to see if I can take Embril; that is if the insurance will cover it. Oh the joys of getting old.
18th Bruce started tearing out the carpet and padding in the office. Got most of the floor scrapped of glue by the end of the day.
20th Last room has flooring. YEA! Tomorrow will see the shoe molding going in and then it's my turn to work. I get to caulk and paint baseboards. Not a bad job to do. Hardest part is putting everything back. Lots of toys to get rid of.
Molly had a little dance recital from the dance camp she attended. So cute. She loves to dance. Connor really has the clapping down. He loves to clap when everyone else does.
21st Office/Molly's room is put back together. Last room finished! YEA. But wait! Why is the living room and dining still full of STUFF? We only put back what we wanted in each room. Now we have all this STUFF. Garage Sale? ReStore? (donation) Trash? Very good questions, but what is the answer?
The morning of the 23rd we went to Fox Fine Jewelry downtown and had my rings cut off. Fussed and stewed over whether to get a new ring in white gold using my original diamonds or stick with my original bands. In the end I was too sentimental to replace my rings. There's a new thing called a SuperFit. It actually hinges
on once side and opens all the way up to look like the letter E (more curvey). So they're going to add gold to the bands and put in the SuperFit. I'll finally be able to take the rings off when I help mix mortar! Get the rings back next month and I'll post pictures of how they work. I feel naked without my rings on. Keep trying to twist them, but they're not there!
The threshold for the front door got put in. Bruce is off getting what he needs to put one in between the hall bath and hallway. Also got some art work up on the walls for the first time since we've been here. Have had some quilts up but no pictures. I used to have all Alissa's art work in my sewing room up north. She drew a picture of me in high school that I love and painted a water color of a naked lady when she was in college. Two of my favorite pieces. Got those up; first in my sewing room and the second in the guest bedroom. Also managed to get up a few of my penguin drawings.
Bruce had to take down the hanging rail for my quilts in the family room when he redid the sheet rock. Need to find a new type of hook (he didn't like what we had used before), so I can get my quilts up on the wall.
Next up for me is to find a couch for the family room. We bought a love seat when we first moved down but I really miss not having a full length couch.
Bruce's next project is to rototill the back yard and the side (north) lawn. Tear out the rotted railroad tie retaining wall and replace it with a stone wall. Not going to be more than 3 feet tall, but it does run almost the full length of the property. He's thinking he can get it done in August before Julie and Kevin get here in September. I'm tired just typing about it and I won't be doing the work! We still haven't decided what to do with the back yard, but getting it rototilled will at least get the weeds down. Think we're going to put in some fruit trees and maybe someday a hot tub. He did build a privacy wall for the hot tub last year...or was that two years ago???
Just a bunch or pictures. Bruce using a scrapper blade on his sawzall to get the glue off the floor. Think he went through 6 blades. The fireplace isn't finished, but that can wait till next year.... or winter time. Haven't found the right tile and style. We can't agree on white mantle and pillars or wood.
| electronics from the TV room |
| New patio drapes |
| sewing room stuff in Dining room |
| More SR stuff in family room |
| It all came out-should fit back in! |
| Master done |
| Guest room done. |
August 2nd: Forgot to post this.
1 comment:
You guys make me exhausted! I'm willing to bet that although you bought the house knowing there was some "fixing" to be done, the sheer *amount* of things that weren't done correctly is daunting. I tip my hat to Bruce .. such a handy, clever man. And *energy*!
Regarding All The Stuff ... I hear ya. If you really did move back *only* the things you want in the various rooms, then you're going to need to take a very hard look at what is leftover and make some difficult decisions. I don't envy you that task. I'm sure many things are "just in case we need them", but you never quite have. It's unsettling to relinquish those things *knowing* that you won't have a safety net available. Sure you can always buy a replacement item ... but "if you had only kept it, you wouldn't have to buy it ... again."
On the other than ... where WOULD you store those things? As I get older, I am appreciating the downsizing and simplification of possessions. Not that I've actually DONE any of that but I can see at some point in the not-so-distant future, I'm going to need to do some serious downsizing myself. I would like less clutter in my field of vision.
I just love your updates! I hope you continue. :-)
Post a Comment