Definitions


Definitions:

Kids: Alissa, our daughter; Nick, our son-in-law Baby: Molly Kathleen, our granddaughter *after 2/8/17 Connor Daniel, our grandson Kaya: The Kids' Rhodesian Ridgeback
Up North: Our home in Walnut Creek, CA Down South: Our new home in Ventura, CA

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Family Room

Scrap Ceiling in Family
Scrap
Scrap
PIQF
Molly, Molly, Molly

I know it's been 11 days since I've posted but it's been a bit busy.  Wednesday the 10th I drove up to Santa Clara for 5 wonderful days at the quilt show, PIQF.  Selma and I have a great time every year, but this year was meant more since we have no idea when we'll see each other again.  Plus we had an extra day.  We both got a top put together.  It was good seeing other friends from DVQ quilt guild.  I was amazed how much I missed my girls while I was gone.

I made a small scale floor plan. People keep asking how the house is laid out. Hopefully this isn't too small to see.
 
 
Meanwhile, Bruce started on the last ceiling.  Good thing it was the last, because it's been a real bear.  Looked like they painted part of the ceiling before putting on the popcorn which make the popcorn stick more.  Think if this had been the first ceiling we did it may have been the last.

We had a hard time getting going yesterday and ended up playing with Molly and Alissa.  Went shopping and out to lunch.  Then over for dinner with the girls.  We actually got to watch "real" TV.

Talked Bruce into taking down the panels of dark wood over the fireplace and hearth.  It looks so much better.  Bruce was surprised at how much it "opened" up the room.  We debated about taking down the bookcase, but it will open up a whole new can of worms that we don't have time to get into now.  Did find a nail hole over the mantle that goes all the way through to the outside.  There were only 4 nails holding up the panelling, yet there are over 25 nail holes all over the wall about it.  They are space so strangely that we can't figure out what they were for.  There's an arc of about 5 holes only a few inches above the mantle, very strange.

Oh, the other problem we found was that the wall paper they left on the wall and textured over with orange peel texture was loose in places.  So of course where it was loose it's peeling off.....wall paper, texture and paint.   Where ever there's a large patch area it means no texture and will look odd when we paint.
She wants to walk so much
Today we prime.  I think just the ceiling, but we're painting walls too, so they need to be primed as well.  Think we'll have to do more patching after the priming is done and then prime again.  It's the only way to see what we've missed.  Bruce has decided to paint it the same color as we used in my sewing room up north.  We have the paint.  It will probably get painted again when we take out the bookcase.  10 years from now. :)  We have just a week before the windows get here.  It will be so nice to get the house back together.  Right now the family room furniture is in my sewing room and the dining room.  Can't get to the dining table at all.






 

No comments: