Definitions


Definitions:

Kids: Alissa, our daughter; Nick, our son-in-law Baby: Molly Kathleen, our granddaughter *after 2/8/17 Connor Daniel, our grandson Kaya: The Kids' Rhodesian Ridgeback
Up North: Our home in Walnut Creek, CA Down South: Our new home in Ventura, CA

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Kitchen Remodel Day 91 to 121 April 1st to April 30th

April has come and gone already.  I had thought we would be done by now, but as with any major projects there's always set backs.

We got in a few Molly days which was such a nice break.  She even spent the night so her Mommy and Daddy could celebrate their 6th anniversary.  Molly was the first person to sit at our new eating counter and have something to eat.  Can you tell from her face it was Lemon Meringue pie?  But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Bruce and Nick got the microwave/hood put in.  Bruce spent a few days in the attic and several trips to Lowe's to get all the venting hooked up.

Glass tiles
Crown molding
While we were waiting on the counter tops to be cut, Bruce got the crown molding in.   We also made "umpteen" trips to Lowe's and Home Depot and tile stores, bringing samples home and taking them back. We still have a table full of back splash tiles to return. Just can't find the right ones.


We purchased 6 boxes of flooring tiles we thought would work.  Once we laid a box full on the floor with the counter tops installed, we realized, or should I say "I" realized that the flooring we picked was not going to work.  All I could see were pink splotches.  Not good.  We returned the unopened boxes and went in search of new flooring.  Finally found a gray that we both liked.  It took 5 days to get them.  

On the 20th, the counter tops were delivered and installed.  They are absolutely gorgeous. For once I feel like I actually made a good decision. 

Once the counter tops were in, Bruce got the end panel on what I like to call my "hutch".  He was also able to finish the crown molding around that corner.

 

The last 2 days of the month we have been installing the flooring.  Back breaking work.  At least I've been able to help with this part of the kitchen.  We've got a good system going.  I do all the "on foot" part so he doesn't have to get up and down off his knees.  Mixing mortar, buttering the tiles, etc.  Glad we bought our own tile saw.  This is going to take several more days and it has already paid for itself in rental fees.   We've learned several things by doing this.  1. 12 X 24 tiles are very hard to lay.  2. We're old.

Speaking of old.... I'm actually posting this on May 1st.  Bruce's birthday.  He's out for his morning walk and then the kids are taking us out to breakfast.  He plans on laying more tile this afternoon.  We'll see; maybe he'll take a day of rest and give his back a break.























No comments: