Definitions


Definitions:

Kids: Alissa, our daughter; Nick, our son-in-law Baby: Molly Kathleen, our granddaughter *after 2/8/17 Connor Daniel, our grandson Kaya: The Kids' Rhodesian Ridgeback
Up North: Our home in Walnut Creek, CA Down South: Our new home in Ventura, CA

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Kitchen Remodel - Days 65 to 79, March 7th to March 20th

Monday, March 7th

Broken record: Sand and spackle; sand and spackle.  Broken up with a trip to Home Depot.

I have been trying to get myself to go to the Modern Quilt Guild meeting in downtown Ventura ever since we got here.  Finally made myself drive downtown by myself.  Got a Habit burger and then dashed to the meeting place to wait for arrivals.  There's a key pad to get into the building.  I waited and waited.  Then it dawned on me, that the meeting was the second Monday of the month and even though the next day was the second Tuesday (and the Camarillo guild meeting), today was the first Monday of the month.  Dahhhh.  Sure felt dumb.

Tuesday, March 8th

I went to the Camarillo guild meeting and Bruce babysat for a few hours.

More sanding and spackling.

Wednesday, March 9th

I went over to the kids house and baby sat while they went with Nick's Dad to look at houses. David is moving to Ventura from LA.  Alissa is excited to have him closer.  I think we'll all enjoy his company.

Thursday, March 10th

Went to my applique group while Bruce got the walls and ceiling primed in the kitchen.

Had a 10%off coupon at Home Depot so we went out and bought more recessed lights for the dining area and the entry hall.  Bruce got the entry hall light installed.

Friday, March 11th

This is the 19th anniversary of Mom's (Bailey) death.  Seems like forever ago.  She would have gotten such a kick out of Miss Molly.

Got the ceiling painted.  Dining area lights installed.

March 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th 

I got 2 coats of Antique White on the kitchen walls where the paint will show.  It's more of a creamy yellow than white.  It's what's in the living, dining and sewing rooms.

Molly came to play a bit while Alissa was off with David again.

Bruce spent several days programming for one of his clients.

Alissa went with us to Costco.  Then Bruce mowed the lawn and trimmed the bushes in front.  We had dinner at the kids house which is always fun.  Yummy curry!

Oh, Alissa and I went to the counter top and the flooring stores to get some ideas.  Really need to have Bruce there for the final decision.  No body like my taste so I let others have the final say.  

I know this is all boring, but I'm keeping track of our days for us.  It'll get more exciting tomorrow. 

Thursday, March 17th

FINALLY - the cabinets are here!!  A 53' truck showed up around 9:30am.  Just Bruce and 2 guys to unload 21 cabinets.  Came up the driveway through the garage into the dining and living rooms.  Except for 3 which stayed in the garage.  Lack of space.  Bruce and I got those moved in later.  The pantry we had to take the front door off the hinges to get it in.

The color is darker than I thought, but I still love them.  It took us hours to unwrap all the cabinets.  We have a huge roll of packing material to take to the dump.

Friday, March 18th

Molly came while Bruce, Nick and Alissa went with David to his new house for the inspections.  He bought a house just down the street and around the corner.  Wasn't until every left that Molly and I realized there wasn't a place to play.  The living room was full of cabinets and her play table in Bruce's office was covered with tax forms that could not be disturbed.  She played on my computer for awhile.  There are some great games on the Curious George website.  Then we doodled on the white board.

Bruce finished up the taxes.  Never a fun event.  Specially this time with the sale of the Walnut Creek house. 

We went to dinner at my favorite Mexican place, Yolanda's.  Not Bruce's and I only like them because they have really good and cheap Margarita's.

Saturday, March 19th

We played musical cabinets.  Got them all lined up in order that they will be installed. Numbered them all. 

We picked up some KFC and went over and had dinner with the girls.  Nick is working until Tuesday.  It's hard seeing the cabinets sit there, but they're way too heavy for me to help hold them up.

Sunday, March 20th

Bad day at black rock.  Only those of you old enough to have grown up watching TV westerns will get that reference.

After studying the moldings that go up around the top of the cabinets, Bruce figured out that we needed to change the ledger markings.  With the kitchen sloping the way it does it's been a real challenge.  Long story short, he had put the out let for the microwave/hood 1" too low. He stewed over it for a long time.  Then he cut a hole in the sheet rock and moved the outlet.  More sanding and spackling!   It was either that or cut a notch in the bottom of the upper cabinet.  That just wasn't right.

Darn I just hit the publish button rather than the save button.  I haven't added pictures yet!
















No comments: