![]() |
|
|
The first time Bruce took me to his family's business office I have secretly and not so secretly coveted what they called "the Bookkeepers" desk. In reality it is a "Leopold Banker's Desk". Purchased by the Bailey's back in 1900. It is a massive desk in dark oak with a multitude of little cubbyholes and drawers.
It is the last of the desks from the old office. Being the largest, the hardest to sell off, besides just being too beautiful to let go. I sadly watched it go to the mountains with my brother-in-law when the company closed. Fearing that I'd never call it my own.
After Ron died it moved back down to the bay area and lived in pieces at my father-in-law's house. And finally it came to rest in our home in Walnut Creek. I already had one massive piece - my longarm machine and there was no room for me to use the desk, so Bruce has used it. At least I could sit at it from time to time, but never could fill all those wonderful little drawers with wonderful little things.
Bruce has talked about building his dream desk in the closet of his office. Neatly hidden behind a barn door. I love the idea of a barn door in that room. He can close off his desk and the room could be used as a play room for Molly. A TV and a futon; a little work table. It can grow with her.
If the desk had been sold when the economy was good we'd probably get as much as you'd pay for a little car, but not now.
I finally restated my love of the desk and that I always dreamed of being able to use it. Expecting some argument I was thrilled when Bruce said that my new sewing/cutting table just moved up to the top of his winter list. (Well after sealing the gutter joints).
No longer having the pool table as my cutting table it's been hard to work on large projects down here. Plus I lost my huge closet to store fabric. So the work table will get built not only with a high cutting area, but a lower area for my small sewing machine. My current work table that doubles not only for sewing but for bookkeeping will bet replaced with the magnificent bookkeeper's desk. My dream.
Obviously, it will take months for this to happen. Not only do we ... well Bruce... has to make my sewing table, then he must make his desk.
I'm looking forward to have a place for all the stuff that normally clutters my work table. Everything will have it's own little cubbyhole. I'll get to sit every day at this beautiful antique. Plus (as Bruce said) where the desk goes, so goes the Regulator clock. So I get that also.
I know this doesn't have anything really to do with the remodeling, but I am just so excited that I had to share.

No comments:
Post a Comment